GET YOUR COMPLIMENTARY SUMMER STARTER PACK ($370 VALUE)

Walk With Us! Walking As A Form Of Fat Burning

Everyday your body does two things. Makes energy and burns energy. Making energy happens when we eat. You put food in, and your body converts the nutrients into energy. If you give your body too much material to work with, it puts the excess into storage, and that's where we see weight gain and excess fat. If you only give it 80% of the materials it needs, your body is going to use what you've got stored to make up the other 20%. This is how excess fat loss Melbourne occurs. The more you can encourage your body to burn through that storage, the more fat you'll see leaving your body. So how do we do this? Upping the level of daily exercise you do is an easy way to burn through more energy. Less in, more out. 


Walking is a simple and effective way to up your energy expenditure. It’s fun, free, can be done anywhere, and by anyone; no matter what age or fitness level. That's why we’ve put together a weekly walking group and want you to join us! 


You might be thinking: I walk everyday already and it makes no difference?! Maybe you hit 3000 steps by shuffling around the office alone. Yes, these are steps and yes, they do require energy. The difference is the amount. The energy required for these ‘passive’ steps is not enough to spark serious fat burn. So here are some tips to go from passive to practical and make your steps count. 


Know the Difference

Walking is a great exercise option if you're looking for something low intensity. It’s perfect to balance out more intense workouts, as recovery from injury or fatigue, or for those with lower levels of fitness. To feel the burn you want to make sure you're not just dawdling along.


Time

The first thing you want to outline is your timeframe. 45 minutes is the optimal time you need to see results. Try and fit a 45 minute session in at least once a week to start off. You can also try to change up your existing routines to fit more walking in. Walk the 40 mins to work instead of driving, or next time you go out for brunch, walk there and back. 


Pace

You don't need to be sprinting full pelt to feel like you're exercising. Walking at a pace where you're still able to have a conversation is just fine. This means you can make the most of the social aspect of walking and the benefit that has on the mind, while letting your body take care of the rest. You're not dragging your feet but you’re not running full pelt. Aim for a, my tram is approaching in the distance or, I think thats my ex walking towards me, pace. 


Heart rate

Walking is a great form of aerobic exercise. Take 220, minus your age, and that’s your maximum heart rate. To get the full benefits of walking on your cardiovascular system and promote that fat burn, you don't need to be sitting right at your max, that's what the intense workouts at the gym are for. Try to sit somewhere between 50 - 70% of that number instead.


Don't want to go it alone?

We hear you! Why walk alone when you can do it with others. Going for regular walks has great physical benefits as well as mental ones too. A good walk clears the mind, releases endorphins, and will help you sleep better at night. Your body responds far better to exercise when stress is taken out of the equation. We’ve put together a walking group so you don't have to go it alone. 



Every Sunday we’ll walk for about 45 mins and chat along the way. It’s a great chance to ask any questions, meet people, and fit in some more exercise without it feeling like a chore. 


Anyone is welcome, join the Humphris Health Facebook Group to stay updated. We will also be sharing a podcast recommendation each week through the group. This is something we can all get around together and discuss on our walks.


So come and chat with like minded people, get inspired and motivated, all while upping those steps and burning some fat. 


WHEN: 9am every Sunday 


WHERE: Meet at the Marina Reserve St Kilda Beach


WHO: Absolutely anyone! Everyone is welcome, bring your friends, family, and furry friends too!


HOW: Just show up! You don't have to sign up and you don't have to pay! Join the Humphris Health Facebook Group if you want some more information or to chat to other members before giving it a go.